Projects & works
Each year, a number of improvement projects are carried out on the Commons in line with the long-term Management Plan. These may be funded from the Borough Council precept but are more often supported by grants and donations from the Friends of the Commons and other bodies.
Projects completed in 2020 include:
- Wetland scrapes at Bulls Hollow, funded by Sussex Lund.
- A new pond at the Marlpits in Rusthall.
- Holly scrub clearance in Happy Valley.
Our 2021 projects included:
- Reedmace removal at Bracken Cottage Pond.
- Holly clearance near Wellington Rocks, that will open up a commemorative planting of oak trees for the coronation of George VI.
- Clearance behind Fir Tree Road car park.
Some of the projects planned for 2022 include:
- The removal of vegetation and re-exposure of the rocks between St Helena and Gibraltar Cottage.
- Removal of mulch from clearances in 2021, to create hibernacula.
- Installation of a gate at Toad Rock to aid clearance and litter removal.