Projects & works
Each year, a number of improvement projects are carried out on the Commons in line with the long-term Management Plan. These may be funded from the Borough Council precept but are more often supported by grants and donations from the Friends of the Commons and other bodies.
- Wetland scrapes at Bulls Hollow, funded by Sussex Lund.
- A new pond at the Marlpits in Rusthall.
- Holly scrub clearance in Happy Valley.
- Reedmace removal at Bracken Cottage Pond.
- Holly clearance near Wellington Rocks, that will open up a commemorative planting of oak trees for the coronation of George VI.
- Clearance behind Fir Tree Road car park.
Some of the projects planned for 2022 include:
- The removal of vegetation and re-exposure of the rocks between St Helena and Gibraltar Cottage.
- Removal of mulch from clearances in 2021, to create hibernacula.
- Installation of a gate at Toad Rock to aid clearance and litter removal.