Tunbridge Wells Commons Conservators Header

Maps


New leaflets, printed on high quality, weather resistant paper, are available from the Tourist Information Centre, a variety of local outlets, or direct from the Conservators.  Just email or ring us and we can send you a copy.

They contain these maps, which are totally up to date (2014) and produced using GPS mapping.

Click on the maps below for larger versions, or the links below each one for the whole leaflet.

 



Tunbridge Wells leaflet                                            





 Rusthall leaflet



 Other maps
 
Tunbridge Wells Common
Rusthall Common
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
             Tunbridge Wells Common                                                           Rusthall Common    
 
 


Footpaths

Maps showing footpaths which are defined as Public Rights of Way and maintained by KCC:
 
 
 

Ordnance Survey maps

The Conservators have a series of Ordnance Survey maps on the scale of 1:1250 (50.688 inches to one mile) showing the exact boundaries of the Commons.  The maps were marked up and annotated by the Borough Surveyor to support the registration of the Commons as Village Green.  Although some of the roads and many of the buildings have changes in the past 35 years, the Commons have not, and so we still use these maps daily to answer boundary and other questions.  Because the maps were ready printed, it came as many separate pages, some of which have only a tiny bit of Common on them.

Rusthall Common - NE
Rusthall Common - NW
Rusthall Common - SE
Rusthall Common - SW

TW Common - SW edge
TW Common - corner by railway bridge
TW Common - Eridge Road
TW Common - Eridge Road (close to bridge)
TW Common - SE
TW Common - London Rd from Vale Road to Church Road
TW Common - NE
TW Common - Fir Treee Road and Cricket Ground
TW Common - NW





1890 map

The Tunbridge Wells Improvement Act 1890, which established the Commons Conservators and set out their powers and duties (subsequently superseded, but not significantly changed, by the County of Kent Act 1981) referred to a map showing the exact boundaries.  Only four of these maps have ever existed, and the one belonging to the Commons Conservators has now become frail and delicate.  It has recently been scanned, and the original sent to the Borough Archive for safekeeping. Below you can see the full map and, in more detail, Tunbridge Wells Common and Rusthall Common.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

undefined#

This is a very early attempt to identify the main paths and maintained areas of Tunbridge Wells Common in 1988 - the year after the hurricane. It was prepeared by the Freehold Tenants and with an associated report was submitted to the Commons Conservators to get approval for the creation of a long term management plan for both Tunbridge Wells and Rusthall Commons

 

 

undefined

Aerial photo of Rusthall Common circa 1960

undefined

Aerial photo of Tunbridge Wells Common circa 1960

 
Map of Commons 1883
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Map of both Commons 1883
 
 

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

 

 




Page last updated: 28/07/2014